Monday, April 21, 2008

Check those receipts

Extra money out the door can be as simple as missing someone else's mistakes.

Example: I went to a "getting to know you" lunch with the other ladies that rent space from the same spa that I do. I brought my own bottled water. Its been refilled twice today from the tap, so it's actually water in the bottle, but I prefer knowing that a waiter hasn't stuck fingers in my drink. Call me crazy.

I checked my ticket before handing over the cash I had brought. "Drink $2.19". I pointed out to the server that I had brought my own water. She agreed, apologized, and looked embarrassed. She corrected it immediately.

I can't tell you how many times I've found mistakes on my food bills. One time a restaurant accidentally swapped cards and I ended up paying over $40.00 when my bill was less than $10! (Again, corrected, but what a pain!)

Sometimes saving money is just making sure you know where it should (or shouldn't) be going.

How I saved money:
  • Saved over $2 by checking my receipt
  • Asked for a box immediately as the food arrived, cut my burger in half, and wrote what it was and when to eat it by on the outside of the box.
  • Took cash so that I couldn't impulse-buy a soda, soup add-on, or dessert.

No comments: