Sunday, April 20, 2008

This week's goals

I'm going to create goals each week and post how I do. If they are small goals, there will be several. Larger goals may go over several weeks or more.

Goal #1: Keep in touch


Description: I am going to follow up with every single credit card and make sure that they've received the payoff amounts.

Purpose: Ensure payments have arrived and avoid daily compounding fees.

Revised Goal #2: Manage my husbands card


Description: We are going to cancel my husband's Chase card. (We're going to give them a call and see what they can do for us first. If they can give us a kicking APR instead of the current APR, then we'll negotiate with BOA and the winner gets it. If it's only a few % points, however, we'll stick with BOA simply because managing the card is immediate and convenient. Also, since we don't intend to leave anything on the card beyond a few days, grace period will fall into the equation as well.)

Purpose: Remove temptation, negotiate better situation.

(Update 4/23: Wow. Chase was basically like, "there's nothing we can do for you." My husband said, "I have a better APR through BOA and that's the deciding factor." The operator said, "I'm sure you do." He closed the account. Crazy.)

Goal #3: Manage Stockpile - 2 weeks

Description: I am going to create a list of all the items we stockpile and wish to stockpile and put it in one easy-to-manage system. This way instead of forgetting to tell me we're on the last (fill in the blank) my husband can cross off an item every time he opens a new one.

Purpose: Avoid wasting money by paying $4 for a "must have now" item instead of buying it in advance for much less.

Sneak Peek: Goals for next week (April 28-May 4)

- Set up new money system in excel
- Transfer money to one account instead of three!
- Open IGN account for our emergency savings (update: applied for 4/21)
- Transfer tax rebate money into IGN account once open for our emergency savings fund (goal: $2500) (4/24 transferred $1000)
- Send check to BOA for the overage amount (4/24 set up BOA as a payee in my bill pay so once I'm ready it's a click away)

No comments: